Monday, December 10, 2007

How I joined the Singapore Navy

As recorded by Shaun Wong

1973 Saturday, an interview. My Penang friends, three brothers Tan from Penang. First brother had only a thumb and index finger on his right hand, dark looking guy. Another was a handsome youngest brother. Second brother was dark like his first brother. These three brothers were gamblers, womanizers and drunkards.

The youngest brother came to lodge in our barracks. They had interview letters from the Singapore Navy and were supposed to go for an interview at Terror Camp at Sembawang Naval Base. All of my friends were armed with interview letters. I told them that I was coming along. I was accepted as an electrician, though I was an Art student!

Brother Peter was already in the Army in 1972 as armoured tank electrician. Peter was a good brother. We sent money home regularly. I was in the habit of sending home money every month or I would gamble them away.

Started with $45 salary, got $90. Pay correct, Sir, Salute, Hand Down, collect money in envelope, Pay Correct Sir, Salute. Time wasting I guess. Anyway later on, they switched to ATMs. I think we got a half day off to draw our money from the bank. Later on the perks of free bus fair and half day off to draw money from the bank was cancelled.

Finished my BMT and field march at Seletar West Camp. I played football in the army, even with my spectacles. I played at all positions on the field. I scored two goals on my own at Pulau Brani Camp as a left wing, until Gan Tai Fatt brought me down with a vicious tackle. From then on, I never played at that position again. One left kick hit the underside of the post and went in. Once I was a goal keeper with my spectacles. I jumped high enough to save the goal, but my specs broke and I didn’t play football anymore.

We were then introduced to boxing and my sparring opponent was Tan Hin Seng. I gave him an upper left hook and somebody rushed in and stopped me. I think you’re a building manager at Orchid Country Club, please call me if you see this. I’m sorry I never apologized after the fight. Those who witnessed the fight also, please contact me if you read this.

I was a badminton champion. Chu Yoo Leong, Nah Chong Boon and Eddie Kuah please contact me, where are all of you, grandfather yet?

1 Comments:

Blogger Shaun said...

i'm glad we had the time in hospital to log this down and cherish the time spent with you doing so.

January 8, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home