Monday, December 10, 2007

Malaysia

As recorded by Shaun Wong
Born in Ipoh, General Hospital, 1951, 4 March. Birthdays were never important. My family never believed in birthdays, they were too poor to celebrate birthdays. I was an art student in St Michaels, ‘O’ level 1967, Express Class. PSLE, 1960, Baling Secondary School, the border town might be no longer there, overlooking the jungle, where the communist were.

Was the top three boy in my PSLE in 1960. Went to St Michael school to do my ‘O’ levels. I hated to study, especially maths. I was an arts student, now I am in the engineering field. I experienced a certain amount of success in the field, what choice did I have. I did not offer Mathematics, instead I offered Bahasa Melayu, education system, ha ha ha. My results did not qualify me for HSC. I only offered Science 6, Best Subject History 3, Malay Unmarked, Religious Studies – can’t remember, not really holy I think. Second Best Subject Geography 4/5, English 6, Literature...

Immediately after O Levels, went to work at a Clerk, bought a bicycle from Robert Olivero’s family who happened to be my neighbour. He later married Helen, my second sister. I was a Borneo Car Sales man, White Corolla Number 2903 sold to a Redemptorist Priest.

With my first pay check, I bought my first turntable. We were dancing away with the first record in our house in fairpark. The first paycheck I got went to my mother, the second went to a sound system for the Wongs. I was a reader in Novena, Ipoh at Thomson Road. I was an exemplary alter boy who served maybe 33 masses. My friends, Doreen, Robert, Elizabeth & David Goh. I was later a tuition teacher for my cousins and did my HSC privately at Anderson Secondary School in the night. Instead of going to classes, I cheated my parents by going for a prata, and movies at Lido or Cathay. I remember watching the Graduate. Hear me sing Scarborough Fair some day at the Civil Service Club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home